A Few Questions - eufyCam 2 pro 2k

have spent the last hour reading the forum and while very helpful, i’ve also found many of the answers/posts to be confusing in that many responses/answers seem to contradict posted solutions… as such i’m hoping a forum poster might be able to help me with the following:

setup:

1 x homebase 2
6 x eufycam 2 pro 2k (wireless indoor/outdoor 365-day)

1. is there a way to use these cameras to monitor live footage, i.e. can the cameras be used to view, in real time, what they’re pointed at?

2. it appears that there’s still no app for windows available (still pretty shocked, i just assumed a windows app would be available when i purchased these cameras), can i use the web browser to view in real-time without interruption?

3. once the cameras are synced and mounted, do they need to be re-synced after a power outage?

4. is there a recommended homebase 2 placement for setups that include both indoor and outdoor cameras? for example, is it better to place the homebase 2 6+ feet off the ground vs 3 feet? near a wall vs away from a wall?

5. are wifi extenders any help with these cameras?

regarding the lack of a windows application - while i understand that a mobile app might be more than enough for a home setup using a few cameras, it’s not enough for a small business setup (imo) given security cameras are often monitored from an office, using a pc.

thanks in advance.

1 Like

@rob1263

1. Yes, the Eufy Cam2 Pro can be used to view live footage. Recordings are based are motion triggers for recording purposes.

2. As far as I know, you can view live footage via a URL. No Windows app that I’m aware of.

3. Once connected, a power outage will not effect having to re-sync everything. Although it will take a minute to reconnect. On rare instances, a camera might need to be reset, but not due to a power outage. Just at random.

4. In my experience, the higher the better, and in an area where it is not being covered (especially by any other electrical type devices that might interfere with its signal).

5. A separate wifi extender does not help. Purchasing another homebase 2 unit will solve the problem in regards to distance from the cameras. Plus, the homebase units act as wifi extender for these cameras.

1 Like

first, thank you very much for your very helpful responses…

1. Yes, the Eufy Cam2 Pro can be used to view live footage. Recordings are based are motion triggers for recording purposes.

2. As far as I know, you can view live footage via a URL. No Windows app that I’m aware of.

so, to be clear, viewing a live feed from the cameras is no issue (no time limit, no 3-5 min end times, etc.) using the mobile app or desktop web browser? also, i’m assuming viewing a live feed won’t put an additional drain the battery, unlike the drain when recording?

1. Once connected, a power outage will not effect having to re-sync everything. Although it will take a minute to reconnect. On rare instances, a camera might need to be reset, but not due to a power outage. Just at random.

when you say “reset”, is that the same as re-synced?

1. In my experience, the higher the better, and in an area where it is not being covered (especially by any other electrical type devices that might interfere with its signal).

excellent, very helpful!

1. A separate wifi extender does not help. Purchasing another homebase 2 unit will solve the problem in regards to distance from the cameras. Plus, the homebase units act as wifi extender for these cameras.

also very helpful, thanks! speaking of which, can the homebase2 unit be purchased separately? amazon doesn’t seem to offer the base unit by itself, and i didn’t have any luck finding one at eufycam’s website.

thanks again, very much appreciated!

My first thought reading this is … a battery cam doesn’t sound like a good fit. What’s its use going to be?

not sure i follow? what fit is a battery cam good for? being dark until it detects motion?

@rob1263 Like @chefrd mentioned, maybe an example on how you plan on using them might help. Wireless battery cameras are not meant for hard core surveillance. If you want to catch every minute or want to project the live view on a computer screen or monitor, I would suggest a wired camera like a PoE (Power over Ethernet) system.

1 Like

again, i don’t follow? what’s “hard core surveillance”? i simply want a camera that displays a live feed, that can be viewed via an app, web browser or desktop application… am i to understand that in order to do this with these cameras it would drain them quickly even tho i won’t be recording during am hours?

@rob1263 Yes, the more a battery operated camera is viewed, recorded, “turns on” through false detections…the more the battery will get used/drained. Also something to note, battery cameras are “off” until they detect motion, to conserve battery life (or if you select live view). Meaning they might miss the first 1-3 seconds after it’s been triggered.

That’s why I was asking how you might use it (“hard core surveillance”). If you want to have cameras on in the background or want to record everything at all times, then a wired system will be best. I use the Eufy cameras at two home locations and they work well. They record what I need…but I also am aware at times, they can catch something late, recording stops early or miss the event completely. That’s the downside to wireless battery cameras.

In regards to battery life, several of my Eufy Cam2 Pros that are in high traffic areas last about 3 months before they need charging. Others depending the covered areas can last anywhete from 6-9 months.

1 Like