Home Base 2 External Storage

I totally agree with your statement as I shared this very sentiment with them numerous times. Speaking with them feels like talking to a brick wall.

Sounds like there is a technical glitch they can’t overcome with existing hardware. Remember, they have to deal with issues like the fact that the video clips are stored encrypted on Homebase. If there isn’t a secure way to decrypt the video on the homebase before passing it to the USB port, then it wouldn’t do any good to have the video clips stored externally because they would still be encrypted with keys you don’t have.

I confirmed this on my old Homebase E that had an external SD card. The card was formatted with the Ext4 file system and I could read things like logs using Linux. When I tried to view the video clips, using a number of different programs, all I got was noise.

Not all technical problems can be fixed by software. Sometimes you just need to change the underlying hardware first.

1 Like

Size matters.
And besides the point either way.

Yes I understand the technical difficulty. But it was still a false promise regardless of the difficulty. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. Many of us spent money on Eufy products based on that promise. Are you saying it’s okay to take our money on false promises?

Not sure why such an in depth description of technical difficulty was given. Everyone already knows it’s not a simple feat! Not sure if it’s intentional but your post sounds like you’re saying since it’s such a difficult thing to deliver it’s okay that Eufy will not allow external storage even though it was promised. Apologies in advance if you haven’t meant that.

3 Likes

What I am saying is that if the Homebase 2 doesn’t have the processing power to do on the fly decryption to an external device and still do its normal work then you are out of luck. No amount of software or promises will make that change.

Eufy could still do this by creating a Homebase3 with enough power to handle decrypting to external storage and maybe throw in homebase to homebase coordination.

Buying a product based on promises of future capabilities has drawbacks. Marketing always overpromises what the engineers can produce.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes I do agree it was not wise to purchase this product based on “promises”. This is a great lesson that we should not believe promises from Eufy. It is still a con to sell something with false promises. I’m sure Homebase 3 will be very fancy. I’ll never find that out though. Fool me once shame on Eufy, fool me twice shame on me.

1 Like

I just ordered the eufy c2 and then stumbled upon this thread. To workaround the lack of storage expansion, it is possible to connect to HomeBase2 via an old smartphone with the eufy app installed, and save old footage to the phone’s local storage?

Yes, if you manage to automate the interaction with the app, you can download all clips to your phone (and ship it from there) and delete the from the homebase.

1 Like

Anyone done something like this already?

Anyway, one more customer that would be very happy with USB storage!

i believe eufy can do that easily but they dont want to, i have my arlo and i’m very happy they allow me to use external storage with usb port on their home base

It would be nice for them to implement this feature since a lot of people here bought the device dus to the notice it would be expandable in the future. So please Anker/Eufy do your best :cowboy_hat_face:

Having an option for both local and cloud based storage should definitely be an option.

I’m waiting before buying anymore EufyCam 2 cameras until external storage is an option or a way to expand storage for my HomeBase 2 device. I have 3 devices now but would like to get to 5 or 6. 16gb isn’t much for 6 devices. Hoping this will come soon.

Don’t hold your breath guys. There’s no money in it for them and they are too short sighted to see how this is going to tank their customer base.

I’m never buying another eufy product until they fix their stuff. Broken promises with the home base. Broken promises with the battery doorbell which can’t keep a charge while wired since it uses way too much power.

Also, hoped for solid NAS or RTSP so I can back things up for security purposes

2 Likes

Yep they prommised a lot but have not done any of them. Rstp and homekit integration for doorbell, expanding homebase 2 using usb.

They are master in breaking promises

Just received this reply from Eufy about Homebase 2 USB expansion, so going to hold off on purchasing anything further until they come out with expansion somewhere in their system or new Homebase 3 with this capability.

“Sorry to tell you that currently, we have no plan to make the USB port available on the Homebase for additional storage on the unit. We may consider it in the near future.”

1 Like

Another promise is broken by Eufy! I guess HomeKit support for doorbell will not happen either.
The doorbell and camera are the first items I bought from Eufy, it will also be the last!

1 Like

You SERIOUSLY need to learn the definition of the word “soon.” We’ve seen nothing at all but endless promises of this becoming available. Nothing! A great many of us made purchase decisions based on the promises of expandable storage “coming soon” but we’re realizing the company is unwilling or incapable (if not both) of making good on quite a few of their promises. I think you should just buy back the systems we purchased under your false promises and then we can purchase systems that will meet our needs from your competitors. We need the ability to expand storage THIS YEAR (a separate purchase is ridiculous!) or we need to bring about some class action to recover our losses or hold you to your word. You wouldn’t tolerate your suppliers jacking you around and I’m not going to tolerate it from you! We paid what you asked, now give us what you promised for that money!

5 Likes

That’s not fair at all, man. At least a brick wall would actually give you results.

You don’t get to decide what is or isn’t a valid reason for anyone to want to archive the footage their system has created.

Exactly how long have you been on Anker’s payroll, anyway?